Truth, Justice, and the American WayPosted: May 29, 2018
“The 13 Angry Democrats (plus people who worked 8 years for Obama) working on the rigged Russia Witch Hunt, will be MEDDLING with the mid-term elections, especially now that Republicans (stay tough!) are taking the lead in Polls. There was no Collusion, except by the Democrats!”
— Donald J. Trump 29 May 2018 on Twitter.
“Why aren’t the 13 Angry and heavily conflicted Democrats investigating the totally Crooked Campaign of totally Crooked Hillary Clinton. It’s a Rigged Witch Hunt, that’s why! Ask them if they enjoyed her after election celebration!”
— Donald J. Trump 29 May 2018 on Twitter.
“This whole Russia Probe is Rigged. Just an excuse as to why the Dems and Crooked Hillary lost the Election and States that haven’t been lost in decades. 13 Angry Democrats, and all Dems if you include the people who worked for Obama for 8 years. #SPYGATE & CONFLICTS OF INTEREST!”
— Donald J. Trump 27 May 2018 on Twitter.
I am very nervous about the future of our country. The president is deliberately undermining the institutions that help to keep us safe in the law enforcement and intelligence communities. In addition, he is already claiming that if Republicans lose control of the House or Senate it is because Special Counsel Robert Mueller “meddled” in the election. Preposterous!
Let’s face it. The president lies. It is deliberate and pre-meditated. All three quotes above are his attempt to change the narrative regarding the investigation underway by Special Counsel Robert Mueller. They were some of the thirteen Tweets put out by the president over the holiday weekend relating to the investigation of Russian efforts to disrupt our elections. These statements go far beyond opinion and land squarely in the realm of consciously lying. We can no longer — if we ever really could — trust the president on anything he says.
The average citizen is just trying to get by from day-to-day. Going to work, taking care of one’s family and dealing with the rigors of daily life make it difficult to keep up with the continual barrage of information deliberately designed to deflect and distract. The issues are complicated and cannot fully be understood through a Tweet or a fifteen second sound bite on television. Totally understandable. In fact, Mr. Trump and his abettors count on that as they throw everything at the wall and see what sticks. But it is important to try to ferret out the truth.
“It would not be impossible to prove with sufficient repetition and a psychological understanding of the people concerned that a square is in fact a circle. They are mere words, and words can be molded until they clothe ideas and disguise.”
— Joseph Goebbels
For the moment, lets put policy changes aside. Many people support his efforts — although I am afraid he is going to destroy our economy through his capricious and erratic trade policies, which is why we should remember his multiple bankruptcies — and I can respect that, even if I disagree. I cannot ignore the daily character issues surrounding the president and his bullying and his attacks on institutions that keep America safe. Would you honestly look to Mr. Trump as an example for your children and grand children to emulate?
Here are the facts (but look them up for yourself, don’t rely on my word) as to what is going on most recently with the Russia investigation and thus the Tweets above:
- Last week Mr. Trump tried to get Congress to investigate the investigators investigating him by claiming that a “spy” was put into his campaign by the FBI. Despite originally saying that only Republicans would be briefed on the actual facts (no politicizing of intelligence in this case!), senior members of both parties (known as the Gang of Eight) were briefed. There was no there there. Nothing. Bumpkiss. Nada. Just one more in a long line of false accusations put out by the president. Claims of wiretapping of Trump Tower, an “unmasking scandal” of intelligence intercepts, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera (with apologies to Yul Brynner in the King and I).
- The leadership of the Department of Justice (DOJ), FBI, and the Special Counsel are all Republicans and appointed by Republicans. Some by the president directly.
- The FBI actually helped Mr. Trump’s 2016 campaign. The FBI and DOJ received information from an allied intelligence source that three individuals with his campaign did or may have close ties to the Russians with the intent of interfering with the election. It was their duty to investigate a possible assault on our electoral system and indeed, that one or both of the campaigns were being disrupted. An informant met with the three to assess the depth of their knowledge and possible associations with known Russian operatives. By the way, the informant worked in the administrations of Presidents Nixon, Ford, and Reagan. (Also all Democrats?!)
- FBI Director Comey publicly announced an investigation into Secretary Hillary Clinton — twice — during the campaign. The investigation into the Trump campaign was kept secret so as not to disrupt his campaign or impugn anyone on his staff until the facts were known.
- The Mueller Team has approximately sixteen lawyers with experience in both Republican and Democrat administrations supported by roughly thirty-six staff, including investigators and non-attorneys.
- The “witch hunt,” after only a year, has already resulted in nineteen indictments including Mr. Trump’s National Security Adviser, former campaign manager and the assistant campaign manager.
- Mr. Mueller’s team does not leak information, which gives the field of public opinion completely to Mr. Trump and his abettors. That said, it is widely believed that Mr. Mueller is looking into the following crimes.
- Russian election interference.
- Links between Trump associates and Russian officials.
- Collusion between the Trump campaign and Russian agents.
- Obstruction of Justice.
- Financial transactions including money laundering and tax evasion.
- Violations of federal campaign laws.
- I could fill pages more of facts directly countering the president’s pronouncements.
Look at how Mr. Trump says what he does. Very rarely does he dispute the facts. Rather he creates falsehoods and/or attacks individuals or institutions. There are no specifics, but only vague accusations. As a result, he can never be wrong and can, when that proves to be a dead end, he just comes up with the next wild and false thing.
Apparently, he wants to use the DOJ and FBI as a personal force, loyal to him rather than the nation and the rule of law. He will not stop until he gets what he wants and is willing to destroy anyone or any institution to protect himself and his self-interests. Obviously he is getting increasingly desperate as the investigators close in around him. We should all worry about just how desperate he may get. Mr. Trump will not go quietly into the night.
I fervently hope that our nation’s leaders, Democrats and Republicans, stand tall and remind the president that no American is above the law.
Vladimir Putin is thrilled. His efforts are paying off beyond his wildest hopes.
“Those who are capable of tyranny are capable of perjury to sustain it.” — Lysander Spooner